Therapy for Women of Color
It’s important to have a therapist who gets you.
Unfortunately, many clients tell us that it’s been hard to find a therapist who is comfortable and skilled in working with women of color. Some describe feeling like they just don’t “click” with a well-meaning therapist. Others describe troubling incidents of bias and racism that have happened in therapy in the past.
When negative experiences combine with the stigma of seeking mental health support, it makes seeking help hard. Understandably, women from BIPOC communities can be reluctant to seek therapy, even when they’re struggling. We think that’s unacceptable.
“It’s so nice to be able to talk about this stuff with someone who actually understands.”
Professional women of color often face an uphill battle when it comes to taking care of their mental health and emotional well-being. That’s why it is so important to us that our clients are seen, respected, and offered consistently high-quality care.
Some of our clients come to Stella Nova seeking a therapist of color or someone with a similar cultural background to work with. Others are simply looking for a therapist — of any background — who is able to work from a place of understanding and respect when it comes to therapy across cultural lines.
Issues that women of color frequently bring into therapy include:
- Learning to manage high stress and anxiety levels
- Imposter syndrome
- Incidents of bias, discrimination, and racism
- Burnout and depression
- Immigration stress and trauma
- Navigating challenging workplace dynamics
- Being the first professional woman in your family
- Cultural and family expectations
- Understanding multiracial and multicultural identities
- Money and financial stress
- Relationships and communication challenges with friends or romantic partners
Stellar Therapists Specializing in Women of Color
with current availability for new clients
Therapy for Women of Color in California
The first step to get connected with your new therapist is to schedule your free, 20-minute phone consultation with Amber, our Intake and Client Care Specialist. During your call, she’ll ask a little bit about why you’re seeking therapy, and get to know what you’re looking for. For example, is is a priority to have a therapist who shares your identity or cultural background? Or someone with a great sense of humor or a direct communication style? Maybe you’re hoping to connect with someone who has a particular specialty or expertise?
Whatever your priorities, we’ll match you with the best therapist for you. (And if for any reason we don’t have someone on our team who is a great fit, we’ll share some referrals and suggestions for finding a therapist outside of Stella Nova as well.)
Stella Nova strives to create a therapeutic space that supports the diverse needs of BIPOC women through our commitment to:
- Hiring, training, retaining and promoting therapists of color on our staff. Representation matters.
- Supporting ongoing training to empower all our therapists to deliver high quality, culturally appropriate care.
- Dialogue with our clients and our communities to help us improve continually.
- Destigmatizing therapy and breaking the mental health taboo prevalent in our communities.
Services We Offer
At Stella Nova, we offer individual and couples therapy for adults aged 18+ throughout California. Currently, we are offering online therapy via HIPAA secure video, as well as in-person sessions at our San Francisco office. Our therapists specialize in a variety of problems and concerns, including anxiety, burnout, depression, relationship issues, and more.